Interview With Amber Glenn

Photograph of American figure skater Amber Glenn

With another Winter Olympic Games now one for the books, the future really is now. No one knows that better than the 2014 U.S. Junior Ladies Champion Amber Glenn. After winning the silver medal on the novice level at Nationals in 2012, Glenn moved up to the junior ranks and finished a very strong fifth the following year. This year at Nationals she took home the gold in the junior category with two very strong performances and earned herself a berth at the 2014 World Junior Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria next week in the process. She's got the jumps and the presentation is already there for this young skater and it's really evident that she's only going to improve and grow even more in time. Amber took the time to talk to about her skating career to date, what the future holds for her in the skating world, who she looks up to and much more in this great interview:

Q: After winning the U.S. novice silver medal in 2012, you had a fantastic season this year. You won the bronze medal at the Junior Grand Prix event in the Czech Republic and skated two fabulous programs to win the U.S. Junior title, outranking your closest competitor by almost ten points in the free skate. What are your proudest or most special moments on the ice so far in your skating career?  

A: My proudest moment on the ice would have to be when I first landed my double axel in competition.

Q: Ladies skating in the U.S. right now is just chalk full of so much talent with skaters like Gracie Gold, Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, Polina Edmunds, Christina Gao, Courtney Hicks, Ashley Cain and Agnes Zawadzki (among so many others) all in the conversation. Of all of the top ladies in the U.S. right now, who do you most look up to and admire? 

A: One of the U.S. ladies right now that I admire the most is Gracie Gold because she is a strong, powerful skater with an amazing personality.

Q: What are your goals for next season? Will you be moving up to the senior ranks and what direction will you be going in with your programs now that lyrics will be allowed for the first time in the 2014/2015 season? 

A: My goal for next season would be to qualify for the Junior Grand Prix Final. I will be moving up to senior next year and am considering a short program that will have background lyrics.

Q: What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a skater and how are you working to improve on your weaknesses?


A: My biggest strength is my work ethic. My weakness would have to be my perfectionism. Sometimes its hard for me to make a mistake and just move on.

Photograph of American figure skater Amber Glenn

Q: What's one thing most people don't know about you? 

A: I am a little OCD. I love to clean my room and house!

Q: Your younger sister Brooke competes in beauty pageants. Do you often go and really are they anything like that insane 'Toddlers And Tiaras' show? And what do you think of Honey Boo Boo Child? 

A: Brooke only competes once a year in National American Miss. It is a natural pageant that emphasizes inner beauty. Although I love Toddlers And Tiaras, that's just not my sister! She's beautiful without fake hair and tons of makeup.  Honey Boo Boo is very entertaining and I love that she's not afraid to be who she is.

Q: Who are your three favourite skaters of all time and why?

A: Sarah Hughes is number one because when she skated in the Olympics she skated with such passion and joy. Next would have to be Carolina Kostner. She is another because of her artistry and her love for the sport. Finally, Yuzuru Hanyu for his blend of artistry and technique.

Q: If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world (absolutely anywhere), where would you go and who would you take with you?  

A: Just put me on a warm beach somewhere with my friends!

Q: Maybe it's just a disconnect being from Canada, but I bet if I asked a lot of people 'on the street' here, they'd be surprised how many great skaters have come out of America's south. Being born and raised in Texas, what do you love most about where you live and skating as a representative of the Dallas Figure Skating Club? 

A: I actually represented the Dallas Figure Skating Club up until recently. I had to change rinks and made the decision to make Stars Figure Skating Club Of Texas my home club. I am still a associate member with the Dallas Figure Skating Club. The thing that I love the most about skating in the south is the warm climate. There is nothing better than being in a cold rink all morning and then changing into shorts and a t-shirt for the warm Texas climate.

Q: What do you love most about being on the ice? 

A: There are too many reasons to just pick one. I love it when I land a difficult jump, the feel of the cold wind when skating around and when I get a chance to help out a younger skater improve an element.

Skate Guard is a blog dedicated to preserving the rich, colourful and fascinating history of figure skating. Over ten years, the blog has featured over a thousand free articles covering all aspects of the sport's history, as well as four compelling in-depth features. To read the latest articles, follow the blog on FacebookTwitterPinterest and YouTube. If you enjoy Skate Guard, please show your support for this archive by ordering a copy of figure skating reference books "The Almanac of Canadian Figure Skating", "Technical Merit: A History of Figure Skating Jumps" and "A Bibliography of Figure Skating": https://skateguard1.blogspot.com/p/buy-book.html.